Date: July 14-16 9am-12pm, 1:30pm-4:30pm
Location: Asano Taiko US, Large Classroom
This three-day intensive explores fundamental body movement and playful improvisational dance, utilizing Japanese folk dances and one of Chieko's original dances, Yoi no Yunzuru, with fluid choreography akin to floating on waves. Participants combine the beauty of Japanese traditional dance with taiko, learning the powerful Hana Hachijo drumming style made famous by Chieko on tour with Kodo. Open to both female and male performers, participants learn how to push their bodies' strength and endurance to the limit without sacrificing grace. Many of the techniques are directly applicable to other taiko styles by helping to improve general movement and body control.
- 9:00am - 12:00pm Morning Session
- 12:00pm - 1:30pm Lunch Break
- 1:30pm - 4:30pm Afternoon Session
Dinner with Chieko!
July 16 (Wed) - 7:00pm - 9:00pm
A final dinner (included in the $400 fee) is planned for all participants with Chieko at a local restaurant.
- Students must be 18 years of age or older.
- Because demand is expected be high for this class, we request that each interested taiko group send a maximum of 2 participants.
- First-Come, First-Served - please register by clicking “Sign up at Asano US” above.
For those traveling from afar, information regarding transportation to our facility along with discount hotel rates can be found HERE.
There are quite a few restaurants located walking distance from the facility, along with a big Japanese supermarket with a food court and bentos (boxed lunches) just two blocks away.
Contact Yuta by email or phone regarding any questions about the Intensive.