Full Day Intensive
Saturday, March 18th
10:00am - 2:00pm workshop part 1
2:00pm - 4:00pm break
4:00pm - 7:00pm workshop part 2
Workshops part 1 & 2 cover instruction from the basic rhythms and sticking to advanced skills.
price: $150 (includes both part 1 & 2)
Sunday, March 19th
10:00am - 1:00pm - Osarai-ka (reviewing) and focus more on 1-on-1 instruction.
Miyake-Jima Kamitsuki Mikoshi Daiko (“Miyake Island Daiko for Gods and shrines”) is the original version of “Miyake”, a traditional Japanese taiko style that has become popular through performances by “Kodo”, a world-famous professional taiko-drumming troupe.
As its name suggests, Miyake Taiko is a Japanese drum played on Miyake-Jima (“Miyake Island”), part of the Izu Islands located 180km south of Tokyo.
Akio Tsumura, a representative of Miyake-Jima Geino Doushi-Kai (“Miyake Island Performing Arts Association”), is credited with teaching Miyake Taiko style to performers of Kodo, and an adaptation of this style created Kodo’s signature piece “Miyake”.
The sound of Miyake Taiko is basically composed of 3 rhythm patterns. You don’t need any music score to play Miyake Taiko, and students will learn those patterns even in their 1st trial lesson.
You can learn all the aspects of Miyake Taiko in this intensive workshop. A great opportunity to improve your skills!
- Even beginners can improve their skills in the intensive workshop.
- We will also teach you Kagura (Shinto ceremonial) and Kiyari ( chant). You can experience all the aspects of Miyake Taiko.
- You will feel more confident with your taiko performance after completing this intensive training.
- Participants will learn the authentic Miyake Taiko style in the intensive workshops.
- Our lessons are divided into different levels. Even beginners can enjoy playing taiko!
Kazuhiro Tsumura & Haruyoshi Tsumura of Miyake-Jima Geino Doushi-Kai