Req 1 - Run-through
While being video recorded, student plays all parts of the entire structure (nagado, okedo, simplified shime, and sung kane parts) with facilitator soloing.
Req 1 Rubric
- no significant structural mistakes
- rhythms played comfortably, confidently
- rhythms played musically; groove is solid
- 16th notes are accurate
- tones of individual hits are consistent
- volume adjusted to match soloist
- able to "hold it together" by maintaining and emphasizing groove when soloist is lost, soloist is uncertain
Req 2 - Rhythm, counting, and helping the soloist
While being video recorded, student plays the following.
-- whole, 16 em structure, all parts combined while counting the "1, 2, 3, 4" pulse (final 4em: no need to sing kane part)
-- sing "ichi, ni, so-re" on 16th bar
Req 2 Rubric
- able to count "1,2,3,4" confidently and in time while playing all parts combined
- able to sing "ichi, ni, so-re" in proper location
Req 3 - Catching the tempo
While being video recorded, student sings soloist kakeai and plays first 2 ems worth of jiuchi. Facilitator repeats four times at different tempi.
Req 3 Rubric
- able to accurately assess tempo from soloist first rhythm (M1)
- able to drop "uh" of 1 but accurately play "and uh" of 2.