nagado bachi (usually larger diameter, harder "kashi" wood)
- congratulations, next goal: Bonenkai
- "Yoroshiku onegaishimasu"
stance and strike
- pennies for feet positions
- increase distance from drum, lean slightly toward drum
- large strike upstroke: prepare the arm position to use gravity
call and answer
Loud vs soft hits
Hitting a cushion, phone-book, or other resilient surface, practice the following combinations of loud and soft "16th note" hits. Make sure there are no gaps in timing between the hits, especially in the tricky transitions between loud and soft. Practice each line on it's own, first with pauses to let the brain reset, then looped. Then combine the lines for a longer challenge.
DOGO poko poko poko
DOGO DOGO poko poko
DOGO DOGO DOGO poko
poko poko poko DOGO