nagado bachi (usually larger diameter, harder "kashi" wood)
- taiko experience
"Yoroshiku onegai shimasu"
- coming late: "Sorry I'm late!" "Glad you're here!"
warmup with course overview
- Prereq.: no experience required
- Repetition: high
- Focus level: specific (particular rhythms vs more general musical skills)
- Physical exertion: low to medium (physical warmup, low stance)
- Goal(s): intro to taiko, performance of Orientation on week 12 (PEAC Week), fun!
first hit for video
- single hit
- follow the leader oroshi
-- "don gon don gon"
-- "su don su gon su don su gon"
-- "don dogodon"
stance and strike copycat
oroshi fundamental skills
- sounding like a single drum
- following extremely closely
- using peripheral vision
-- R hand as "1", "2", etc
-- sets of 8
- don v de v da
orientation fundamental skills
- don doko
- daga su ga su ga su ga
A - O---|----|O---|----|O---|----|O---|----
B - --o-|--o-|--o-|--0-|O---|O-O-|0-o-|o-o-
C - ooo-|--oo|o---|--oo|o---|oo--|--oo|----
D - ----|O-oo|-o-o|-o-o|o-oo|-o-o|o-o-|ooo-
additional course info
- homework: encouraged, not required (Fri / Sat, looking at notes and playing on lap is genuinely helpful)
-- when necessary, will give specific goals like, "please have this memorized by next week"
- missing class: let KB know in advance, make-up on Wed
- KB contact info
oroshi Recital plan
Wed Nov 16 6:00-7pm teach arrangement, indiv. feedback, room available until 7:30 for additional practice on own
practice on own as necessary (Wed office hours avail., room rentals avail.)
Wed Nov 30 6:00-6:30pm final rehearsal
Oroshi performance time: approx. 4:15pm
okay to return to seats to watch remainder of show (if tix already purchased)
or watch from green room
something you love, details to come