- Each week will be focusing on different Shitauchi
- On Hachijo Island, rather than "practicing" Hachijo Daiko, people got better watching, copying and having fun with one another at gatherings, feasts, bars, etc.
- Focus on "feeling good" playing Hachijo, for both Shitauchi and Uwauchi
- Goal of each class will not be to create & perform a solo, but to find your joy and voice with each Shitauchi type
- Groove and enjoy the music your hear
- Copy / take inspiration from rhythms that others are playing
(and don't worry about how you look! pick and choose the rhythms that feel good to you)
- Practice Hachijo Chant kakegoe: Kita Mata Mata Mattai or Kita Mata Kita Mata
Variation 1: z - ● z (L - L R)
Variation 2: z ● ● z (L R L R)
- Be able to control and switch between the two variations
- Make L buzz the strongest, incorporate lower body to emphasize buzz
- Channel inner "drunk" energy!
● ● - - | - - - - | - - - - | - - - - | (x2)
● ● - - | - - - - | ● ● - - | - - - - |
● ● - - | ● ● - - | ● ● - - | ● ● - - |
- ● - ● | - ● - ● | - ● - ● | - ● ● - | (x2)
- ● ● - | - ● ● - | - ● ● - | - ● ● - | (x2)
Solo Structure Practice
Practice Soloing to Swung Honbataki, in teams!
Connect with Solo Structure
- 4bar solo per Uwauchi player
- Bonus round rule: take inspiration from previous soloist and try to make one long solo amongst the five soloists