Friday, September 7, 2018 - 18:00 to 19:45
Student should bring:
hand percussion TBD
- o-oke in line with bachi
- shime in line with bachi
- bottles in line with bachi
- 6 okedo
- 1 nagado
- carts (4?)
- on board: drawing, Los Pobladores, Grand
- clapping: ride, 2/4/6, o-oke
- introductions over groove: name, favorite thing about LA
- walking through drums (everyone try all parts)
- Chichibu Yomatsuri
- j'ouvert in St Kitts
- Louisiana funeral march
- LA's festival?
- at drums: tonal balance
- try while moving
- next: approach to "soloing" (quarter notes, eighth notes, written part), cue
- note player heights
REFERENCE IMAGE AT BOTTOM
- coming together
- singing to the space
- passing car
- Crash 1 + low singing. After hearing 4 kane hits....
- Crash 2 + med singing/passing cars. After hearing 4 kane hits...
- Crash 3 + high singing, followed by trill build. After hearing 4 kane hits...
- Clean single hit and then immediate silence (place hand on instrument to stop reverberation)
Group into o-oke, shime, okedo, and kane. Come up with something that resembles an automobile crash. We want it to be something that is structurally random; meaning it sounds random, but every player can play it exactly the same, repeatedly.
Crash + singing = done simultaneously
Doreen Haramoto (soloist)