nagado bachi (usually larger diameter, harder "kashi" wood)
- student notes
- on board: common pulse relationships
- stretch: thoughts on solitary vs group aspects of taiko
- review main concept: The act of creating heightens sensitivity.
-- how you look (mirror skills)
-- where you hit (esp. on fuchi)
-- when you hit (rhythmic precision)
-- how you sound (tone, dynamics)
"fuchi as justification"
- bounce, glance, pass-through
- create a R path with four evenly-spaced strikes
-- consider end of Cronkite
- allow for variable timing of strikes
- repeat for L paths
- repeat for simultaneous paths
distinguishing the important hand through body involvement
- consider Murder
if all this leads to an opportunity for a satisfying don or gon, take it!
"elements of the satisfying strike"
- prep: as high as time allows, arm position
- good grip
- elbow / body involvement
today's take-away ideas
- fuchi as reason for movement
- importance of satisfying strikes
possible choreographic exercises
- travelling farther between evenly-spaced hits (end of Cronkite)
- fuchi as excuse for arm swings (Murder)
- same rhythm, multiple stickings, arranged from simple to complex (Karc)
- gesture as inspiration (beginning of Cronkite)
- rhythm as inspiration (Tribeca)
- original / new idea