nagado bachi (usually larger diameter, harder "kashi" wood)
Grip review quiz
- What finger is gripping?
-- try each finger, focus on kinaesthetic feedback
- Does the bachi touch the webbing between the thumb and pointer finger?
-- experiment with holding the bachi away from this spot
- When playing med-tempo and fairly strongly, what angle should be bachi reach at the top of the strike with relation to the forearm?
-- with partner, force that angle and late snap
- What causes a "punching" motion?
-- side-view of punching vs bend at elbow
- Demonstrate using wrists vs not using wrists.
- Show the proper wrist alignment for changing naname angles.
- counting pulse with first R
-- various numbers
-- pulse e, and u (?)
- basic angle during strike
-- front view of self in mirror, explore "out", "in"
- how much elbow bend
-- side view of self in mirror, explore no elbow bend, complete elbow bend
-- marker on mirror?
- bending the elbow without cocking the wrist
large strike practice
- downstroke increasing speed
-- 32 R
-- 32 L
-- 64 alternating
Side-view bachi tip visualization - 4 min
Before a mirror, turn to give a side-view of the arm and do super-slow-motion, full strikes watching the path of the bachi. Pay close attention to the bachi/forearm relationship at the moment the elbow starts to bend - it should not change. Caution: don't "snap" bachi in air... dangerous for wrist, elbow. 2min each arm.