nagado bachi (usually larger diameter, harder "kashi" wood)
- Roll exercise
5-point strike technique
- natural path of relaxing arms from an elevated position
- whip-like motion
- Build speed within framework of relaxed technique
- Practice applying relaxed hitting technique
- Smoothly connect different types of hitting technique
-- Whole arm individually, whole arm simultaneously, elbows, wrists
- Watch leader's drawbacks, get a feeling for their pace, and listen for any vocal cues or kiai!
- Aim for consistency in sound and hitting technique
- Focus is key: find a way that works for you as a roadmap through the drill
Call, Response, Play
- Prepare based on what you hear first (even while continuing to listen!)
16s drill on a pillow!