nagado bachi (usually larger diameter, harder "kashi" wood)
Basic Strike Technique & Timing
- Watch each other perform basic strikes and offer constructive criticism (one thing they did well, one thing they can improve)
- Be specific! "They look great!" is not as useful a comment as "It looks amazing when you extend smoothly on your drawbacks."
- Teaching and learning go hand in hand. Consider how things that our peers do well could be inspiration for us to improve. Also consider how something that they need to improve could be something we need to improve, too.
Separation of Movement
- Try adding arm circles!
- Remember "V" (right hand) and "kamae" (left hand) prep poses
- 4- and 8-hit circle patterns will come at the end of the exercise
Don tsuku DoRo tsuku
- Practice tsuku technique: catch drawback at highest point, relax during drawbacks, high bachi angle
- Practice drill in two groups offset by one beat
Practice arm circles to add into Indipendansu Ude!